Dear Yuletide Writer,
Well, hello! I'm sorry things are a bit bare around here, I'm hoping between my prompts and this letter you get enough info to have fun writing a story for me.General info
Things I am fine with: gen, friendship, romance of many kinds (het, slash, three-or-more-somes), character death, happy endings, bittersweet endings, sad endings, character-driven, plot-driven, Bechdel test-passing (women in the fic who talk to each other/do things that don't revolve around a man)
Things I'm not so into: plotless porn, cross-overs
Please no: torture, non-consensual sex, sex with dubious consent
I recently wrote out a whole list of narrative kinks
. I hope that's not too offputting! Don't take it too seriously, and since a bunch of them are world-building things hopefully you won't butt into them too much anyway. Also, I don't think I chose any fandoms with telepaths in them. So don't worry about telepaths. (ETA: what was I thinking? The Hainish Cycle has telepathy, but Le Guin makes sparing use of it and suggests it is used sparingly. Feel free to go into that if you like.)Cardiac Arrest
Gosh, if you have seen this television series I'll gladly read anything you want to write in it. I'm especially keen for anything set after series 3.
A few specific prompts in case it helps, but feel free to go with your muse:
- Phil and Rajesh both owe Mr Docherty a major debt for saving their careers. Rajesh especially didn't ask him to do so. Say one or the other of them starts to resent it; what happens then?
- anything where Claire gets inappropriately interested in a patient's case (as with the boy who needs an organ transplant)
Oh my fandom of one. I wrote a whole post on this recently
if you want to see what I like about it.Hainish Cycle - Ursula K. Le Guin
I'm really into minor characters and lesser known worlds in this cycle! Anything with that emphasis would be great (truly!) but I've done some prompts in case it helps:
- characters from a world/culture with a rigid hierarchy and notion of honour (eg Teyeo or Ramarren) making a life in a world where there isn't the equivalent
- characters shortly after nearly as fast as light travel, dealing with the loss of their friends, family or other things they loved on their home world
- off-worlders falling in love and becoming part of local relationship structures, eg sedoretu on O or the maz relationships on Aka
Wow, the Hainish Cycle. I love the sheer possibilities for human society, and the shared humanity of all the characters.
I had a couple of specific prompts for this on top of the general ones here they are in case you're into specific prompts or just want a better idea of things I might like:( Hainish prompts for the lesser-known worlds be here )Nochnoy Dozor | Night Watch - Sergei Lukyanenko
I like "grey" things in this fandom, moral ambiguity FTW! I'd probably prefer plot-drive to character-driven in this fandom.
Some possible thoughts, at least to give you a sense:
- anything Arina does!
- the Night Watch and the Day Watch reluctantly cooperating, especially if it's to foil the Inquisition
- Svetlana distrusting the Night Watch, and turning out to be right to do so
- Zavulon deflating Anton's or Gesar's self-importance
- Zavulon being polite and helpful and leaving everyone wondering what that's going to cost, exactly
A couple of notes: I don't speak or read Russian, I've read these novels in translation. I only know the bookverse, I haven't seen the movies! And finally, I know several of the characters are evil, but I'd probably prefer if the story stayed only about as dark as the novels.
I love the politics of this series. Everyone's iron self-belief combined with their constant compromising with each other, and their adherence to the Great Compromise, by which I mean the Treaty.
Again, I had a couple of specific prompts I edited out of my request, but that you could use if you're stuck:( Night Watch prompts )Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke
(Arabella Strange, Lady Pole, Stephen Black)
Arabella, Lady Pole and Stephen were thrown together in their horrible, weird prison and enchantment. I'd love to have some post-novel fic in which they are in some way thrown together again, and deal with each other as intelligent, free people who are still variously marked by their experience.
I'm find with any pairing or none among these three.
I don't have a lot to add in this one. My imagination isn't wild enough for this fandom, often. I'd like to see Stephen Black and Lady Pole now that they have some power over their lives though.